2010-07-11 Drawer Box with easel card topper
Last week’s Weekly Inkling had the tutorial for a Drawer Box. Link to the tutorial is HERE. In the morning before work, I sit quietly at my desk and just relax listening to the morning news. I glanced at the instructions that I had printed out and wanted to see how big this drawer box would be in real life. I took some craft colored card stock and began measuring and scoring. I was just going to look at the parts to guess what it might look like, but I could see the basic box would be assembled quickly. It went really fast. So fast that I had the drawer built and the base that it slides into assembled before I left for work.
I left for my morning commute thinking about the drawer. If I went to the effort to decorate it, what would I do? And, what to do about the drawer pull? It would have to be pretty sturdy…not just card stock either. When I came home that night showed my husband the printed instructions and told him I had an idea on what to use for the drawer pull and did he mind if I spent the evening finishing up the drawer box.
He came down to my work space after I had been working on it for a while. I’m glad he did as I had some mechanical questions to ask him. The drawer was too short for the size of the box it slid into! We both looked back at the instructions and held a ruler up to my template that now had my drawer pull attached (really attached and not removable without destroying the front of the box). Yep, I had measured correctly. We checked the photo instructions together and yep, the sample had the same “slop” in the size of the box. Together we came up with two solutions and I chose the one that wouldn’t require disassembling what I had already put together.
I ended up adding a shim to the bottom of the box to raise it up. I covered it with the same craft colored card stock. You can see it in the photo below, but you really have to look.
Here is what I came up with after decorating.
This photo shows the box with the drawer open and you can see that instead of just decorating the top, I added an easel card that can be propped up. I did this as an after thought. Had I planned ahead I could have saved a good bit of the glittered scrapbook paper. I just have to remember…it’s only paper.
A close up of the easel card front. You can see that I used a Nestabilities die cut in both oval and oval scallop. I also used a Fiskers boarder punch, dry wall tape and a Martha Stewart leaf punch. The rubber stamps are the flower by Stampin Up from the set Delight in Life and the sentiment is by Wordsworth.
A close up of the flower shows you that I stamped the flower on scrapbook paper then using a Versamark pad, inked the entire surface and embossed with clear embossing powder for an all over shine. I cut each of the flowers out and added a dew drop for flower centers.
Here you can see a homemade drawer pull. Can you tell what it is made from? If you could touch it, that might give you a clue…it’s a soda can. Aluminum is way more sturdy than a card stock handle and really light weight, so it won’t weigh down the card stock drawer.
I took a soda can and cut off the top and bottom. Next I sliced it down the side giving me a curly sheet of razor sharp aluminum. (Thankfully no cuts). To help rid the aluminum of some of it’s curl, I ran the sheet over the edge of my counter top, kind of like trying to uncurl a curly ribbon with a scissors.
I took the sort of flattened aluminum to my Scor-Buddy and scored 5/8″ lines across the long surface. The first line gave me a straight edge. The next 3 lines were what I was going to cut and use for the drawer pull. I cut the piece I wanted and using a bone folder and the edge of my desk to ease the aluminum into a fold. I made a kind of “bias” tape fold out of the metal and then burnished the creases. I had the shinny side (not printed side) out and I needed to add some color to it. I grabbed my Alcohol Inks and patted on the ink. Thankfully I remembered to put on one rubber glove, so my nails are not rainbow colored. I added a piece of cardstock as a backing (brown on the rear of the drawer pull) to make sure all raw metal pieces were covered. The next step was to add texture; I used a Cuttlebug embossing folder. Lastly I folded the raw edges under, punched holes for brads with my Crop-a-dile (punched through the aluminum like butter!) and attached to the drawer front with Scor-tape and brads.
The entire box is held together with old fashioned double stick carpet tape (really large surfaces) and scor-tape (for small surfaces and stress folds). Mat’s are glued together with Scotch quick dry adhesive. All of the decorative scrapbook paper is from the same pad of papers by Die Cuts with a View (DCWV) and is called the Rustic Stack. Too bad you can’t see that for all of the paper’s I chose the glittered stuff. The box has a nice sparkle to it.